Tuesday, July 13, 2010

GOALLLL


No, I did not watch even a fraction of the soccer stuff that was going on, whatever it was called!;)
I just wanted to share this so that I have a chance to come back to this one day, or every day for that matter, and to share with my friends too.
A while back, a friend had sent me this new blog, Inspired to Action. She has a free e-book for moms on how to maximize your morning. It has helped me so much, well until I got pregnant again!;) On her blog, she also encourages moms to make a mission statement. I hate that kind of stuff and always have. I hate setting goals and defining objectives, blah blah blah. It makes my head and stomach hurt and just feels like a waste of time. I just want to get to it. And, the reality for me has been that my goal is simply obedience to God. If he calls me to do something I do it, if he tells me no in an area I don't do it. Simple. God called me to stay at home to raise my kids during this season of life. I did it...do it. No goals or objectives needed. Except that I go to bed nearly every day with regret that I just didn't read to Mali or Eleri one more time (or any time at all), that I cleaned too much or that I didn't clean at all. Just loads of regret and guilt that having #2 seemed to exacerbate as I'm sure #3 will too. Then in the shower, which is for all accounts and purposes my real quiet time and time with God, I felt God talking to me about a goal and a mission statement for motherhood. I had read this post that day:
http://inspiredtoaction.com/2010/07/motherhood-and-identity-comparison-and-the-list-you-need-to-tape-to-your-forehead
So in the shower, God and I discussed what my mission statement as a mom should be. And here it is
To provide my children with a safe, loving environment at home where I teach them and help them to learn while also teaching them about loving God.

So now the past few nights when I've laid in bed and the guilt (the Enemy) is whispering in my ear, I can say yes today I was a good mom because I was home with them and gave them a safe place to learn. I taught Eleri how to say bubble and that once again that was a cat not a dog. I taught Mali a verse about arguing and complaining and helped her to understand to rest when her body was out of control with crying. Even though those were just a few moments in the long span of the day, I did "well" (which is even hard for me to say). This certainly does not mean I'm going to do the minimal job but that there will be days when there are moments and not hours that fulfill this statement and I won't bog myself down in the guilt that time is just slipping away from me and that my girls will not be raised well.
I hope this helps someone else that reads this blog too!

2 comments:

  1. Your post is inspiring and brings tears to my eyes. I have struggled all summer with this. ESP with our new child living with us.

    I play all day, but somedays I don't feel it was enough or I got short, or I was selfish for a moment and said "NOT right now!"

    I need a mission statement and need to focus on that throughout my day. Thanks Brie.

    BTW I hope you feel better soon. {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie,
    That was so well said and encouraging. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever thought to use my mission statement to bring rest to my soul at the end of a long day. I use it to give me vision in the morning, but too often, at the end I just focus on the things I would have changed instead of the things done well.

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete