Wednesday, September 30, 2009

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times

Be careful
Don't stand on the counters
Ask for help

These are just several statements I've made to Mali throughout her life. Yesterday all my warnings were not heeded. Mali climbed on top of her bathroom counter and fell off. I grabbed her off of the tile floor as she was screaming and crying. I held her for a while then gave her motrin and an ice pack. She kept screaming and then started to say "I can't see, mommy I can't see". I was worried that she was just dramatizing or being 4 so I called our nurse and she said to take her to the ER. We picked Eric up and went to the ER. Mali was not acting like herself at all. They ordered a CT scan which was another ordeal. Mali was scared of it and cried and cried. Finally, after a bribe (a new Webkinz or Polly Pocket) and Eric's help, she complied. Eric sang Jesus Loves Me at her request. (Eleri and I had to stay outside). We went back to the room and Mali threw up and then took a nap while we waited for the results. The CT came back clear with a normal brain and normal head-praise God. After we got home, Mali started acting like herself again. She was acting very sweet and just talking away. She complained of pain after her motrin wore off but that was it. She ate really great too and thankfully kept it all down.
While we were waiting I felt so much peace from God. I was concerned, but still felt that peace. Isaiah 26:3 says "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, becase he trusts in you.". It was certainly a hard time and it has made me so appreciative of sweet Mali. I hope to hold on to this and continue to treasure her. I just wish I had more opportunities to hold and cuddle with her.
When she was discharged and I was checking out, the receptionist informed me that we had no ER co-pay with our new insurance but that it went towards our deductible. I really almost lost it right then! I don't need to get on that soap box now, but had to vent about insurance. I wonder if Mr. Obama will make that worse or better?
Also, last night when I was bathing her, I noticed a large red mark on her back. This made us reevaluate what exactly had happened. From her report and injuries, it seems that she was standing on the counter, slipped, hit her back on the counter and then fell to the floor and hit her head. Uh it just makes me cringe. I'm so thankful for God's protection over her and her injuries. I think it shows the big picture of how God works, He doesn't always keep us from accidents or injuries (although there is no telling how much he has protected her from) but he keeps us in perfect peace and minimizes those injuries. Often times, we need to the difficult circumstance to learn a lesson, hopefully Mali has learned a lesson, although Eric and I agree that she probably will climb again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I'm so glad she was okay. Did she get a diagnosis of a concussion or anything? Unfortunately we can't watch them every second, and unfortunately, I think we want them to keep trying, even if it scares us sometimes. Parker thinks that no place is too high on the playground these days, and there's like a 3 story slide here at one of the playgrounds!

    ReplyDelete