Sunday, November 7, 2010

What's in a name?

Here we go again with the name game!  We still aren't 100% sure that we have baby boy's name...so we won't be referring to him as anything other than #3
a. until we are certain and
b. probably until football season is over.
But we did discuss that maybe asking for spelling suggestions on our blog would help us.  If you read our blog when I was pregnant with Eleri, you may remember that her alternative name was Curi.  This was our "boy" name if she happened to be a boy and also we thought it was fairly gender neutral and stuck around as a girl name other than Eleri.  This time around we've tossed a few back and forth like Easton (our boy name alternative with Mali, but too popular now) and Hyde (my first choice after The Hideaway Marriage Intensive where he was conceived but its been scratched off the list).  After a few discussions we are back to Curry.  We like Curry because it has the same "I" ending sound as both of our girls' names and just seems to flow well.  What put both of us on board with this name was doing a little search on the meaning recently when we came across this:



Curry - Meaning of the name









Meaning of the name Curry



2 syll. cur-rycu-rry ] The boy name Curry is pronounced as KAHRiy or KERiy †.
Curry is an English and Irish name of Irish Gaelic origin.
Curry is a pet form of the name Curran (English).Curry is rare as a baby boy name. It is not listed in the top 1000.




Baby names that sound like Curry include
Currey(English), Currie (English), Kerey (English),Kurrey (English), Kurrie (English), Kurry(English),
Carey (English and Irish), Cary(English), Casar (Slavic), Cäsar (German),Chirayu (Indian), Coree (English),
Corey(English), Cori (English), Corie (English), Corrie(English), Corry (English),
 Cory (English), Craye, and Curro (Spanish).
† Pronunciation for Curry: K as in "key (K.IY)" ; AH as in "hut (HH.AH.T)" ; R as in "read (R.IY.D)" ; IY as in "eat (IY.T)" ;
K as in "key (K.IY)" ; ER as in "hurt (HH.ER.T)" ; IY as in "eat (IY.T)"
Who could pass up naming their son a name that means HERO or CHAMPION? Especially a father that is a football coach. We just aren't sure how to spell it.   I'm just fine with the Curry spelling but then you run into the problem that Brandon and Liza pointed out and that is the major association of the name curry with CURRY...okay now I'm hungry and really want some of Liza's good Nepali cooking!  They have a legitimate argument that in a global world a great percentage of people with any sort of familiarity with Asian cuisine or even an occasional trip to Pei Wei may associate his possible name with.... Curry and there may be some teasing or laughter or shouts of "Don't Worry Chicken Curry". But we just have to weigh everything else about the name because every name can be made fun of.  In fact, several people made comments about Eleri's name (Eleri Celery) and Mali's name being chosen after a baby Asian elephant. My argument with this is that my name is Brie.  Anyone mildly familiar with French cuisine or in fact gourmet cuisine knows Brie is a cheese.  I've often even explained to people that my name is "spelled like the cheese".  I survived, and I like my name teasing included. Brandon's suggestion is that we go with the actual from of Curran.  Eric then suggested we could just call him Curry.  But here we go back to my name.  On this topic, it has not been fun at all to have a real name Brianna and then a name I go by Brie. It wasn't that difficult really when I lived in a small town and everyone knew my name was Brie, but when I went to college it was easier to just allow my professors to call out Brianna with the role call then to say, "well I go by Brie, and you spell it B-R-I-E.  This is also now the case with the doctor.  So my OB, OB staff, anyone in the hospital with I have babies calls me Brianna.  I can definitely deal with it but, just don't want my children to really deal with it. Not that I don't like Brianna but it just doesn't feel like my name.  Also, from our "research", Curry is a very popular last name and has some other references other than as a mix of spices. So all of this post to ask for you to PLEASE PLEASE comment with your suggestion on how to spell the name.  There are several listed above of course.  We could always add an "I" to the end like we have the girls' names but I worry that feminizes the name Curry. So any suggestions would be great!
On the same line as the first name of our son to be, is the middle name.  I really really wanted Hyde but if Curry is the first name I just can't go with Curry [your] Hyde so I do draw the line some where!  But I LOVE the tradition of using the mother's maiden name as their son's first name.  However, you just can't name your son "White".  Then the other day I had the thought that maybe a name that meant White could be used. So I started looking them up on all the baby name sites.  I had a huge list but we narrowed it down to Blaec which means "black or white" so for our purposes it can mean White! This is a way to carry on a piece of me into our son and my last name was always just huge in my identity.  I came from a VERY small school/class and there was another Brie, so I was always Brie White, and there was the Brie White Defense and then even funny college friends that got a kick out of calling me Brie White Gomez. The White Family has lots of strong characteristics, so we often say "that's a White thing" or something along those lines.  (I'm sure lots of families do that, but maybe not saying "The White Family Temper"). It just feels like I get to include part of my former identity and I just think its a cool way to name your son.


I had LOTS of issues with editing and publishing so just ignore it and comment anyway!:)

3 comments:

  1. I vote for Currey but also vote for anything that is going to help people pronounce it correctly when reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i tried the other day but it would not let me comment. i like currey as well...and also curren is great. i have no idea how to say the middle name so ?? love you alllll! and where are more belly pics? last time with a belly and i need to see it. haha! i think, or know, that mine looks way better prego than not, so bring on the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa I only do my belly pics once a month!:) But I do agree that my firm fat pregnant belly does look better than the alternative!:) And its your lucky day because I will post one later today! And middle name, pronounced Blake.

    ReplyDelete