Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Life Well Lived

A few weeks ago the father of a girl that I am seeing in play therapy had recommended the book A Life Well Lived by Tommy Nelson (He did a study on Song of Solomon that many of you might be familiar with). I bought the book for me and my brother, but really didn't have any idea why I needed to read it other than it was good and I needed a bible study to do. Today I just read Chapter 3, which is titled The Problem with God: Why do bad things happen to me when I love God and am trying to do the right thing?
I wish I could scan the entire chapter and post it, but I can’t. And what it has showed me and comforted me with is just amazing. I am amazed how God planned even this out that I read this book at just the right time. First you have to read Ecclesiastes 3:1-15. Here are some sentences from the chapter that I underlined; Nelson says that “God has a plan and does not waver from it. God is sovereign over everything. No evil action skirts his plan. No piece of the puzzle is left over at the end. If you don’t die from something unexpected, there will be a day you weep over some diagnosis. These things are all ordained. We cannot know what life will bring.” He then identifies four platforms that Solomon gives us in Ecc.3:11-15:

God’s plan is wise

God’s plan is mysterious

We cannot let what we cannot know destroy what we can enjoy

Rest in the sovereignty of God: God is in control. His plan is unchangeably perfect.

Hope this helps some of you too, and encourages you to go read this book!:)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Brie for keeping us updated. We are keeping you in our prayers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete